Thursday, November 22, 2012

Injury Management

Let's cut to the chase, shall we? Here is my list of injuries over the years:

Later 2003 - Left lower back strain while squatting. First ever visit to a chiropractor revealed two subluxations in neck, one in upper back and one in lower back. More on these later.

Summer 2005 - Significant lateral meniscus tear in right knee from playing Tennis on a hard court while wearing worn out sneakers.

Fall 2006 - Forced subluxation in upper back when barbell slipped during heavy isometric squat hold. This in turn started pangs of pain in left shoulder that has recurred a few times a year since.

Early 2009 - Left elbow tendinitis (Tennis elbow).

Spring/Summer 2010 - Right elbow tendinitis (Golfer's elbow) first instigated by a lapse in concentration while chinning during spring 2010 and later worsened by heavy farmer's walks that summer.

Early Summer 2011 - Right thumb inflammation (DeQuervain's Tendonitis?) from moving up in my overhead pressing weight quickly. I was also military pressing six days a week. I eventually pressed 165 lbs (the equivalent of my bodyweight) but it came at a price.

Summer 2012: Right thumb inflammation recurred after a particularly intense set of seated dips; right extensor muscle strain from a particularly intense set of reverse barbell curls (this put a complete stop to all my lifting).

The subluxations discovered in 2003 were fixed after a few months of weekly chiropractic visits. The lower back subluxation had led to one of my legs being "longer" than the other, which, in turn, resulted in the lower back strain while squatting. Between monthly chiropractic visits and several sessions of back extensions a week, I have not experienced a lower back strain since.

The meniscus tear lives. Smooth, straight-line activities like sprints and squats don't bother it. Snowboarding and other high impact activities do. Surprisingly, the breast stroke doesn't bother it either but then I don't "whip" my legs during the kicking phase (I squat horizontally through the water). My ortho had suggested surgery back then and I am glad I decided against it. Eventually, I will need it.

The upper back subluxation has recurred in a rather severe manner twice, once during an isometric squat hold and once as I turned my head while front squatting 265 lbs, and both times caused my neck to really stiffen up for a couple of weeks at a time. Now I am very aware of this particular nuisance and seem to have it under control.

The right elbow tendinitis never healed fully and I still experience soreness there today. The soreness became deeper after the extensor muscle strain this summer. That strain itself was caused because I got to holding the barbell "gingerly" when doing reverse curls because I didn't want to worsen the "residual effect" I was still experiencing from the right thumb inflammation (from the previous summer).

Lessons learned

1) Pause and take stock if any discomfort is experienced anywhere. I am not a professional athlete and it would be idiotic to injure myself because I wanted to be hardcore. It is better to come back another day and train with full intensity.

2) Accept that an injury may still occur. If so, stop the activity that caused the injury. Icing and workarounds are fine but I have found that there is absolutely no substitute for complete rest.

3) Chiropractic care has been valuable, if only to serve as a calibration tool.

4) Seek active recuperation. Don't wait for an injury to happen. Monthly deep tissue massages and weekly steam baths have proved beneficial. Myofascial release and acupuncture do not seem to have had an impact. On a side note, I did ask my acupuncturist out and was pleasantly rejected.

5) Extend the warm up. There should be no clear line between when the warm up ends and the actual workout begins. As Dan John put it once, the warm up becomes the workout.

6) Do not use barbells for all my lifts. The barbell puts my wrists, elbows and shoulders in an unforgiving position. Dumbbells allow much freer movement of those joints while also forcing each side of my body to work hard (that is, prevent one side from overpowering the other).

7) Mix up my set/rep scheme. Most of my injuries occurred during a phase when I was lifting heavy weights for low reps in every workout. While I packed on muscle, absolute strength and my metabolism skyrocketed, I also experienced the most amount of injuries. Going forward, think in terms of mobility, energy systems and strength. This means doing both heavy weight, low rep and lower weight, moderate rep training. I like high reps for only core, calf and grip work.

Next few months

I hate cardio. Other than the occasional brisk swim or all-out sprints, I don't see myself doing slow, steady-state cardio anytime soon. Just the way I like my sex: hard and fast. I love hiking weekly in the blue hills and am looking forward to snowshoeing this winter. I have no idea when I will get back into rock climbing as my elbows still don't feel 100%. But I am literally twitching thinking about putting on my snowshoes, my legs pumping to the heavy stillness of a surrounding, black forest and feeling a frosty breeze on my face. As for weight training, it is still numero uno in my book. The squat has been a faithful standby, keeping me sane during all this time as it was about the only lift I could do with any intensity. It has helped retain lightness in my feet and kept my heart and lungs in decent shape and (gulp) I am very grateful to it. I am back in regular training now. Three days a week, one heavy barbell exercise (usually the squat) followed by several light to moderately heavy dumbbell exercises should not only do the trick for now but also lend structure to an otherwise dreary week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gop - Great article, I really appreciated the lessons learned section! All great advice. BTW, subluxation is simply a fancy term for chiros to sling around. But I think they are worth it, mine has fixed an upper rib displacement in my back, a shoulder strain (ask them to go outside what you think they do, and sometimes they can fix it) and a clogged ear. Each of these, he accomplished with one treatment. And I found basically we all have one shorter leg due to what we each do on a daily basis. Back to the original point, all sage advice - great read!

Is it better to work out in the morning or the evening?

If you do a web search on this topic, you will get all kinds of studies pointing out why training at one time or another in the day is best ...