Sunday, July 8, 2007

Rowling's tears at Potter book death

Original BBC article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2998198.stm

I have never read a Harry Potter book or watched any of the movies. I find something wholesomely buffoonish about the whole concept. It is beneath me. So when I read that JK Rowling cried about an important character she killed off, it only evokes guffaws from me.


JK Rowling. In my opinion, her boobs definitely carry more weight than her writing.

But I still like certain children's books such as The Book of Brownies and The Adventures of Dunno and his Friends...probably because I read them as a kid and so have continued to carry a certain fondness for them.

3 comments:

The Lethological Gourmet said...

You know, I resisted reading Harry Potter for years. I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon, didn't want to just be another one of those Potter fans.

Then I read them (about the time the fifth book came out) and I'm convinced. I don't think it's the best book there ever was, but it's a very engaging read, and if it gets our attention-deficit society to sit down and read 700 pages, I'm all for it!

Hoarse Whisperer said...

Raina, I actually read about a 100 pages of the first book thinking that I would be as entranced by it as I was with the few books that I had read before in the fantasy genre. Maybe I shouldn't have approached it with such expectations. But I had also completed reading The Hobbit and all three of the Lord of the Rings books a few years ago (before the Fellowship of the Ring was made into a movie). So my idea of fantasy was well cemented by the time I picked up that first Harry Potter book. I am sure Rowling is a great writer (she is a billionaire, isn't she?) but I just have not been drawn to her work.

Hoarse Whisperer said...

Additionally I have not been able to shake off the feeling that Rowling wrote Harry Potter with the hope that it would be commercialized well beyond the literary world (meaning, movies). This is perfectly fine. She clearly is a shrewd woman (like a Martha Stewart of the literary world). But, possibly because of this, I cannot relate to her work at an emotional level.

Is it better to work out in the morning or the evening?

If you do a web search on this topic, you will get all kinds of studies pointing out why training at one time or another in the day is best ...