Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Four brief product reviews

In the last couple of years, I have refrained from buying anything unless I really needed it. I noticed a lot of my friends had developed this habit much earlier on in their lives. Well, it took me a bit longer. Anyway, I brought four products in December 2012 because I needed them and here are their reviews.

Sennheiser RS120


Wireless speakers are not exactly news. But with 2013 the year of the "clutter free", the regular speakers that I had connected to my laptop were displaced by these Sennheiser speakers. It didn't exactly make it clutter free as I still had to connect the base unit to the laptop and, of course, the power plug to the surge protector. But the wireless headset is simply amazing. Previously if I watched a movie later in the evening, I would have to keep the sound really low. And occasionally put up with the couple upstairs having "fun". Not anymore. Plus I can now listen to music while moving about the place. The reception is clear even in the remotest part of the house. One of my best investments in recent years.

Blondo Men's Mickey 2 Boots


This winter there were some cold days. Or so they said. I never felt it though. There was one really big snowstorm but I went out confidently. No lacing up. No worrying about slipping. No worrying about cold feet. Nothing. I just wear my usual cotton socks or whatever socks and slip these boots on and no one the wiser. They are cozy. They don't make my feet sweat (because I wear light and not wool socks). They are slim enough to not interfere with my pants. Also the toe area is flexible enough that I can move around lightly on my feet, jumping over puddles and landing softly, etc.

Lasko space heater

The little fella in action...killing a New England draft.

I left my old space heater many years ago in a previous apartment because the new freckle-faced kid who was replacing me needed it. Compact with a low-medium whisper, this Lasko space heater heats up a small room quickly. I can't believe that only last Fall I was considering getting one of those electric fireplaces. Not only would that have severely lessened floor space in my small living room but it would also have cost me roughly $800 more. I like  electric fireplaces but they can wait for a bigger space. The little Lasko space heater has allowed me to keep gas heating down during day time. I have been using it every day this winter for a few hours each day. I noticed that the monthly electricity bill has gone up by only a few dollars, while the gas bill has dropped about 15%. Note that I live in a small apartment where you can see such changes. But the real impact is in the ability to quickly heat up cold spaces after coming into my apartment after a few hours of being outside or after waking up in the morning while waiting for the gas heating to catch up.

Fabulous product 4

This product shall remain nameless. Some things should remain private :)

No comments:

Is it better to work out in the morning or the evening?

If you do a web search on this topic, you will get all kinds of studies pointing out why training at one time or another in the day is best ...