Monday, February 11, 2013

Big winter storm of 2012/2013

In New England, people get nervous. When a big storm is predicted, everybody rushes to the nearest shopping place to stock up on supplies. I suspect this may be the case elsewhere in the world as well. Having neither kith nor kin to worry about, I take more of a hunter's approach without the gatherer part. The big winter storm began on a Friday afternoon and blew itself over later in the day the following day. So the first thing I did late Friday afternoon was amble down to the Waterfront cafe for my usual:

Steak tips medium rare.

My street just after the storm ended Saturday afternoon. My last meal was almost 24 hours ago at this point. I had slept and read for the most part. I was ravenous. Maybe I will stock up next time.

The snow was so deep that a few minutes of trudging had my calves pumped. It's tricky trying to figure out the best places to cross a street. As you are crossing, a vehicle may be sliding down the already narrow streets of the North End and you have to make a quick decision: Continue crossing and get to the other side before the vehicle gets to you? Backtrack to where you where before you started crossing? Just freeze (no pun intended) and hope the vehicle will stall? So you quickly rush over to the other side of the street and even jump over a mound only to see the vehicle turn into a side street before it gets to where you were. It's like playing Pac-Man or Dig Dug. It will probably take me a couple of days to figure out and avoid the really tricky parts while getting to my usual destinations.



Some of the sidewalk had already been cleared. Pity. That's the lady from the earlier picture. As she skied past me, I said, "Nice shoes". She smiled.

My chiropractor. Guess I had to make an adjustment to my schedule, huh?

My brother sent me this photo. I would have removed the netting, of course.

I shopped at the Golden Goose and later made french-style chicken in red wine. It was delicious!

No comments:

Is it better to work out in the morning or the evening?

If you do a web search on this topic, you will get all kinds of studies pointing out why training at one time or another in the day is best ...