Friday, October 3, 2008

So did anyone get Veeepped?

Last night, when Palin said, "Hey, can I call you Joe?", I smiled. But then when she referred to a hockey game, I grimaced, "Uh-oh, here we go again".

When I think of Alaska, I think of pristine wilderness...not theatre & the arts, a complex financial services industry or annual public transportation budgets. I strongly feel that it is easy to appeal to Alaskans or those folks from northern New Hampshire with Palin's brand of energy. Yes, she has got things done from the perspective of mayoral politics. But how would Palin do as a Mayor or Governor in a "fast" state like California (where even the mighty Schwarzenegger machine has failed)? My take: she might not even have gotten elected to office anywhere outside of Alaska. You want to deal with the EU? "Darn rights" aren't going to help with the likes of a Dalia Grybauskaite.

Palin's hockey mom saga also highlights a serious issue: is it necessary to have 3 or 4 kids to demonstrate traditional family values?

I am not going to comment on Biden as, like some people, I tuned in to confirm my impression of Palin. All I will say is that Biden seemed very capable with a much better handle on "issues" than Palin. I will like Palin as long as she remains within a certain context: small town politics and the hockey field. But who knows...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "can I call you Joe" comment got a complete eye roll from me. I really didn't like it. It sounded totally scripted to me, and hurried, like she was told to say it and it was the first thing she blurted out, on the mic. But then, maybe I'm a cynic...

Hoarse Whisperer said...

Yes, that comment was meant to disarm Biden :)

Is it better to work out in the morning or the evening?

If you do a web search on this topic, you will get all kinds of studies pointing out why training at one time or another in the day is best ...