Monday, April 21, 2008

The Cape


So I was recently chatting with a girl online when she asked me why I was so fascinated with Cape Cod and the surrounding areas. So I thought about it and sent her a reply. She said that she found my reply "soulful". So I decided that the Cape should be a subject for my next blog post. And what better time to write about it than in Spring.

I go down to Cape Cod Spring through late Fall. I have been doing so for many years now. So what's the fascination? Oh, I don't know...


Lazy kettle ponds at high noon with the occasional buzz of an itty-bitty insect and the distant call of birds.


Lighthouses under the moonlight.


Beaches with sand dunes. Tip: For best results, take off your flip-flops. Bring a kite.


Scrubby, oceanside forests.


A long, breezy bike trail that runs by beautiful ponds, dense woodlands, the National Seashore Visitor's Center and several ice cream shops.


Of course, there is the ever-present shimmering ocean with its many moods...probably what Sudhakar and Dan are discussing in this picture.

What else? Well, we have the small-town feel of the communities there -- lively Orleans comes to mind right away, boat houses, great seafood and other nuances that are distinctly Cape Cod. Incidentally, life in the Cape also reminds me of some of Enid Blyton's works that my brother and I grew up on.

2 comments:

John said...

i visited the cape (and 24 hrs in boston) last summer. great trip, especially chatham and p'town. now that i know all the popular tourist-y spots, i want to go back and find the out-of-the-way places. the sand dunes reminded me a little of where i'm from, but lake mich doesn't compare to the ocean.

Hoarse Whisperer said...

Nice :) I go fishing in Chatham and Wellfleet now and then. Never been to Michigan though.

Is it better to work out in the morning or the evening?

If you do a web search on this topic, you will get all kinds of studies pointing out why training at one time or another in the day is best ...