Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Without faith

I was reading (on Livescience.com) some interesting findings on how Americans feel about the use of Creationism, Intelligent Design and Evolution in classrooms in the US. Being Atheist, I have always been bemused by religious systems. I mean, it always amazes me that people who are otherwise intelligent and educated would continue to believe in stuff that continues to cause the three Cs around our planet: concern, consternation and carnage. On a positive note, I can understand someone using a particular belief system as a form of meditation. Hey, whatever to improve the quality of your life, right? But...I believe that religion is an effective tool only when used to attain personal well-being. It easily has the potential to become a monster when imposed on others. Because doing so seems to evoke the same emotions that come pouring out when one attempts to impose one's taste in movies, humor or music onto others.

Despite all my misgivings on this very sensitive topic, I go to extreme lengths to avoid discussing it (guess I am contradicting myself with this post). I feel that it is more important to prevent inflammation of any sort than trying to prevent my ego from getting bruised. We have enough problems on this planet related to this subject and I believe that it is our responsibility to avoid further escalation of such problems.

A while ago a close friend of mine, who is a devout Christian, asked me if he could take a few minutes and talk to me about Jesus Christ. It made me uncomfortable immediately. It is not that listening to him would have made me lose 15 lbs of hard earned muscle. I just would rather not talk about certain things. But its hard to say no to a friend for fear of upsetting him over what was essentially a subject of importance for him. But to his credit, he didn't pursue it once he realized that I wasn't being very receptive. He did, however, ask me if I did anything to take care of my soul (the same way I take care of my physique) and what I would do if I ever felt confused or lost. A valid question. People think that stress is only negative. But stress can also come from positive happenings. Anyway, I gave him an answer that I have presented as a graphic below.



I should add though that, having successfully shed the shadowy influence of any religion or my own Indian culture (it's impractical traits, at least), I have evolved a thought process that is very minimal in its implementation. I wanted to use the word "primal" instead of "minimal" but can a primal nature and rational mind go hand-in-hand in civilization?

As the years roll by, I am finding out that, given my background, it has indeed been worthwhile to have taken...the road not taken!

No comments:

Is it better to work out in the morning or the evening?

If you do a web search on this topic, you will get all kinds of studies pointing out why training at one time or another in the day is best ...