Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Five exercises I like - Part 3

This is the third of 5 parts.

Over the years I have tried many movements and exercises. Some felt like a waste of time. Others helped me add on pounds and absolute strength (thereby making me look muscular than my 165 lbs) while at the same time keeping me light on my feet (like I was when I was a 100 lb kid). Here are five movements that I seem to have settled on now. They get done on a regular basis although not in each and every training session.

Overhead Shoulder Press

To achieve and maintain optimal shoulder health, everyone should do at least one overhead movement on a regular basis (once a week or so is sufficient). The overhead shoulder press is the perfect way to keep the shoulder girdle (which includes the rotator cuff and shoulder blade muscles) and upper arms (especially the triceps) healthy and mobile.


Start...


Finish...

You should do this movement standing to allow your legs and lower back to stabilize the lift and reduce compressive forces on your spine. When you go heavy, this can become a productive total body movement.

This video beautifully demonstrates the right way to do the press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhNOcMecei0

When the palms are turned toward you at the bottom position of the movement, this exercise is also known as the Arnold Press (after Schwarzenegger who apparently popularized it in the 70s). I like it this way as my shoulders are placed in a very mobile and comfortable position. Occasionally you could use a barbell for variety. I use a barbell as part of a Hang Clean and Press move. But I recommend dumbbells for the most part as they are forgiving on the joints in each arm while forcing each side of the body to work to its maximum potential.

Acceptable Substitute: None. A strong shoulder press is indicative of perfect shoulder health. But...you could do a variation of the Pushup, if you can't get to a gym. Just remember to keep the elbows tucked in. That is, your upper arms should be close to your torso. This will put the shoulders in a stable position. I don't recommend the bench press for anyone (did that just fall on deaf ears?).

No comments:

Is it better to work out in the morning or the evening?

If you do a web search on this topic, you will get all kinds of studies pointing out why training at one time or another in the day is best ...