Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Art or Rot

Last night I was over at David's place and he put on this documentary about a punk rock and roller by name GG Allin. GG died of a heroin overdose in 1993. Did you think he died fighting for his country in Operation Desert Storm?! I guess that last remark just about sets the tone for this post.

Now ole GG considered himself a hardcore rock and roller. He habitually performed naked and brawled with his "fans". The act would also involve GG defecating on stage and then rolling around in it. I suppose talking about his signature move might give a bit of an indication of bringing down the standards of my blog but I had to mention it (otherwise I am a traitor to my...blog writing escapades). Now as a character study (which I think was the point of that documentary), it was a fascinating look at a man who could make Lindsay Lohan look like my high school class valedictorian. To be fair, he had a couple of good points. For instance, he doesn't seem to have had a grudge on his brother (I can't remember the other good point). The saddest thing was that his brother, who was part of the band, seemed tame when compared to ole GG. And I couldn't quite shake off the feeling that the brother had no choice but to be in deep...well...sh*t because he a) was not an enterprising chap, b) was ugly and c) was unfortunate enough to be born to GG's pa and ma. In short, the brother seemed to be simply tagging along.

When they were finally ready to close the lid on GG, the funeral home chap was asked not to hose down GG (he was still "reeking" from the previous night's show). I rarely flinch at anything but that documentary was so far down queer street that I started making a list of people that I was going to consider normal going forward (starting with Paris Hilton). As usual, I am going to end this post suddenly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting viewpoint...but I woud pose the question...why would looks, your older brother, or your parents determine your path in life? What does this say about the range of one's perspective? Isn't a good life of about gaining the best vantage points? Couldn't GG's "mistakes" be just a stepping stone up the mountain, couldn't one's looks (good or bad) be used to build character/overcome adversity/stereotypes, hence another stepping stone. Life is a series of "stepping stones" if you will and some make it above the treeline while others are still stuck in the woods. But life is never devoid of them simply due to one's inherited circumstances, but rather one's needs to notice the "chips" in people etc. to recognize where to "push/step-up" from. Do't get stuck below treeline, take in the vastness of the view, one stepping stone at a time.

Hoarse Whisperer said...

anon, if one has to learn from mistakes, one needs to realize that mistakes have been made and appropriate improvement and changes are needed. My interpretation of the documentary was that GG wasn't interested in gaining any "vantage points" in life. As a matter of fact, for him, rubbing people the wrong way seemed the right way to go.

I know a few ugly guys who don't come from a very stellar background and yet have become quite successful in life. "Stepping stones" are there for only those who seek them.

Is it better to work out in the morning or the evening?

If you do a web search on this topic, you will get all kinds of studies pointing out why training at one time or another in the day is best ...