Monday, April 9, 2007

Your body is your church

So I had a run-in with a Boston Councilor this morning. She was talking about this program and that program aimed at preventing crime in the city. When she was done, I didn't know whether I wanted to laugh or go outside and throw up. Boston, given all of its dynamics, is never going to be free of crime (just like any other major metropolis). As long as people don't reclaim a certain level of physical fitness and awareness of their surroundings that they have given up since having become so used to the benefits of technology (and as long as government keeps coming up with technology to "prevent" crime), people are going to get softer and continue to play the victim. I mean how many people, when they are attacked, can fight back or at the very least outrun their attackers without having a cardiac arrest.

The Councilor mentioned a "tiny woman" in one of her public meetings who had asked her how she (that is, the "tiny woman") could protect herself from her violent sons. I would have simply asked the "tiny woman" to step aside and then shown her how to use a firearm and knee an attacker in the family jewels. I encourage all my acquaintance and friends to get trained in firearms. This is not so that they can get a gun permit in order to brandish a brand new Glock in front of the neighbors but rather so that they, when in the midst of an emergency, don't get startled when they hear an explosion or gunshot. An intimate knowledge of firearm usage would put them in a state of mind calm enough to observe and later provide fruitful evidence to the cops (who clearly cannot be there in time to save every tax-paying citizen). IMHO all that federal funding to fight street crime is a waste of money. Those funds should rather be channeled to teach people as to how to react in emergency situations, provide CPR, etc.

On a side note: Occasionally I go for a walk in unfamiliar Boston neighborhoods (I was in Charlestown all of yesterday morning). I have many reasons: check out the real estate, the traffic in the town center, etc. But these walks also give me an opportunity to judge how the locals (yup, fellow Americans) assess my being there. Sometimes I have felt a little fear like when I see a bunch of very Irish looking teens coming down the street. I might casually cross the street pretending to read a street sign to avoid any potential problems (but I keep myself tense, just in case). I have been in unfavorable situations (nothing major) where I know that race played a part. I have never lamented such situations or blamed anyone. I am here to live my life well not to convince others to be saints. I know my capabilities, my worth and I do what is necessary to get the most out of such situations and simply move on. But I always try to work through such feelings ("breathe deep into the belly, maintain regal bearing, put on a stoic but relaxed look, make do like you own the place, etc.."). Sure I like the comfort of my couch but I don't want to let my instincts rust either.

No comments:

Is it better to work out in the morning or the evening?

If you do a web search on this topic, you will get all kinds of studies pointing out why training at one time or another in the day is best ...