Monday, March 26, 2007

And, Yeah, It Ends...



So India is out of the world cup. Rather than lamenting about shortcomings in the Indian team, I've been wondering about what brings out the best in the top teams out there (such as Sri Lanka and Australia). My conclusion: superior attitude. You know, the attitude that goes, "Fuck...them...all! We are going to destroy our opponents and move on without looking back!".

Honestly...Indian players, especially the ones from prominent backgrounds (half the team), might have a holier-than-thou attitude, which would make them subconciously underperform on the field. I have been a culprit of this attitude myself. I would tell myself that, owing to my rich Indian heritage, I had superior talent (great memory, great analytic skills, great social skills, etc.) than that Mexican guy or that Irish dude and so would end up putting in only 50% of effort into everything I did. One day I realized what was going on and gradually started making changes. Today I take very few things for granted. Then again I don't have a billion people looking up to me. The Indian team does and it has been failing to deliver since 1985 (at least they have been consistent on that).

Greg Chappell, the Indian coach, did his best and cannot be blamed. It is the players who need to reevaluate their psyches going forward...

No comments:

Is it better to work out in the morning or the evening?

If you do a web search on this topic, you will get all kinds of studies pointing out why training at one time or another in the day is best ...